You can teach an old dog new tricks!

I have read and read about Project Based Learning and STEM (science, technology engineering, technology.)  I thought it sounded great, but a lot of trouble.  I mean, my Ks have to get green on all those timed tests! (You know the ones I mean!)

But, I decided to go for it!  And, I am SOOOO glad I did!  Here are a couple of the projects we have done so far!


Watermelon Bust!





I saw this on Pinterest (I think.)  We used our 5 senses to talk about the watermelon.  I loved my little guy who used his sense of hearing.  He was so serious putting his little ear next to the watermelon and listening so hard!  We drew a "scientific" picture of the watermelon.  It helped I had a watermelon scented marker...just sayin'.  Then, we made predictions of what we would find inside the watermelon.  We all predicted how many seeds we would find in the melon.  Then, the fun began.  Each table got 1/3 of a watermelon.  I have so many Ks this year, we used 2 melons.  The Ks used their hands to harvest the seeds.  What a gigantic mess, but worth every bit of it!  Only seeds that made it on the plate counted.

Penny Predictions







I guess making predictions is our theme for August.  I also saw this on Pinterest. (I have a problem, okay?)  I asked the Ks how many drops of water would fit on the head of a penny.  Each table had to work together to make a prediction.  Note to self - epic failure!  Ks do not make group decisions well together in August!  Then, I modeled how to use a dropper and add one drop at at time to the penny. They were so anxious to try it themselves.  And, this was so much easier to clean up than the watermelon!

I didn't really plan this, but I love that our August theme was predictions.  I want my Ks to know its okay to make a mistake.  I want them to feel safe to take a chance, make a guess, just "wing it" from time to time!

I have lots to learn about this, but that's okay.  I'm taking a chance, making a guess, just "winging it" like I want my Ks to do!

If you read my blog, please leave a comment.  I really want to know if this is helpful!  Thanks!




MAYBE WE CAN'T ALL BE STARS

    BUT WE CAN ALL SHINE!


                                          Holly

No comments

Back to Top