You Are Enough!


As we all go back or get ready to go back to school, I want to share something that has been on my mind for a while.



All of us know that celebrity teacher we wish we were.  They are awesome!  They inspire!
They teach!  They share!  I can't wait to see what is happening in their rooms!

I want to be them!

But I'm not...not even close.  I lose my patience.  I get tired.  I sometimes want "that kid" to be absent. (Not this year, parents!  All my cuties are perfect!)  I don't get everything done.  I give in and have free iPad time.  I take the easy way out, sometimes.  My class is not Pinterest or Facebook or Instagram worthy.

And it gets me down...

I need to remember that what we see on social media is only a fraction of what happens in those classrooms.  I mean come on...the 3 ps (puke, pee, and poop) happen.  Kids melt down.  They have days and days of inside recess.  

School happens!

My classroom is real life...good and bad.  When you walk in my room (you'll probably hear us before you see us!) you'll see the lava lamp going, kids going everywhere, me looking for my glasses, and a mess everywhere!  You'll hear Pandora playing KidsBop, kids talking LOUD, maybe someone crying or getting mad.  You'll smell our oil diffuser (Cheer Up Buttercup is my favorite) and maybe stinky feet because we don't always wear shoes.  Some of our centers are really cute, some are made at the last minute with paper plates because I had an idea ( saw it that day on Facebook.)  That's the way it is.  Some days I feel like Mary Poppins and others, Cruella Deville.


But, whoever I am that day,  its okay.  Whoever YOU are each day is okay.  When I graduated I received a Bachelor of Arts degree.  It bothers me sometimes that new teachers get a Bachelors of Science degree, now.  Teaching is an art...ugly, messy, smelly.  But the final product, our students is BEAUTIFUL. ( Or is it are beautiful? Ugg.)

Go out there and get real!


Happy Teaching!
               Holly



No comments

Back to Top